Monday, July 21, 2008

Mole and more

I just returned from a five day whirlwind trip to Mole National Park where we got to walk uip to elephants, feed baboons and Mona monkeys, and wake up to the sounds of wild warthogs eating outside our window. We took a walking safari as a group in the morning, and then in the afternoon I went with seven other people who were at Mole on a driving safari for two hours around the park. I was sitting on top of the car along with two Dutch boys, when we came across a lone elephant feeding. The car must have spooked it because he started trumpeting, and he turned away so we stopped to watch him. He evidently changed his mind about us because about thirty seconds after we stopped he tunred back around and charged us, trumpeting and throwing branches. We had to hold on for dear life as the driver gunned the car to get us away from the elephant, and he followed us to the road and stood in the middle of it making noise as we drove away. It was incredible but frightening at the same time. On our drive back from Mole yesterday we stopped at the Kontampo Waterfalls, and had a wonderful afternoon relaxing besides the most beautiful waterfall.
I am in Accra now and will be heading back to Keta this afternoon to get a good four days of building in this week. Last week we finished the foundation so tomorrow we will start to lay bricks and build up the walls, which is a faster process than the foundation was. We have been having some problems with the locals I have been working with, but thanx to a good friend from Accra we will be able to make our money stretch farther than I had been told at the beginning of the summer. It is absolutly astounding to see the building being erected day by day, and how with hard work from the volunteers we can acomplish so much in one day. On Thursday with eight people, one mason and two local laborers, we managed to mix cement, using shovels which is incredibly tiring, an carying headpans full of cement on our heads to the site, we finished half the floor of the clinic. I have been taking pictures everyday of the site and when I get I fully plan on making some kind of slideshow which documents the progress we made. All is well and I hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

1 comment:

Therese H-P said...

I am so excited and proud of you! I cant believe its actually coming together so quickly! It's weird to see you doing all this stuff when I've known you for so long. Its such a long way from tanning on your porch and walking along the waterfront. I am so thrilled that you set out to do this and are getting it done! I miss you but I know you are home there.
Love,
Tese