Sunday, June 1, 2008

Leaving in two weeks!!

So, I finally recieved my malaria medicine, and hopefully my visa will be arriving next week, which means my departure date of Friday June 13th, is a go. This will be my third time to Ghana, and this time around we are actually bulding the clinic which Yingor Development and I set out to accomplish two years ago. To provide a little background for those who do not know much about my previous experiences in Ghana, I will tell the very shortened version of the rollercoaster that has been my life. I took a year off school my sophomore year of college from University of Puget Sound and worked three jobs for eight months to get my self to Ghana. I went on a volunteer program in spring of 2006, and initially started off teaching at a local elementary school. After working with the children for about two and a half months, I decided I needed to expand my horizons, and found a local non-profit called Yingor Development. Together with the help of Ken Kponor, Yingor's director, and Simon Avevor, who acted as my translator, I started teaching HIV classes around the village Keta, a small coastal town. During this process I realized that many inhabitants of the Keta Peninsula did not have access to HIV education or healthcare. So, Ken, Simon and I started looking for a place to build a clinic devoted to HIV testing and counseling. We found a perfect piece of land, put the down payment on it, had blue prints drawn up, and put into motion the beginnings of a clinic. I had to leave around this time and go back to school, where I raised the rest of the money to pay off the land, and to get me back to Ghana the following summer. I returned to Ghana for six weeks during the summer of 2007 where we worked to get the logistics of the building down, how much things will cost, etc.. After a hectic, but amazinf six weeks I returned to school, and began raising money and awareness with the hopes of being able to build the clinic in the summer of '08. I became involved with a Canadian volunteer group, Volunteers Abroad, who agreed to take on my project. I then recruited members from my school and around the community, till we had a team of ten who signed up to go and build. I leave in two weeks before everyone else does to get things ready for the volunteers to start building, and I am sill in shock that I was able to pull this off. We are still looking for volunteers and donations, as bulding an entire clinic is fairly costly, but we are able to at least put the basic structure up and hopefully start using it as an educational base.

No comments: